Thursday, March 26, 2009

@GDC in San Francisco, AT&T pwned...

I've been here in San Francisco since Friday (20 March 2009) for the Game Developers' Conference, and have never had as bad cell service as I've experience here this past week.

I'm using AT&T's service, and use my mobile relatively sparingly to begin with - calls home to the wife, calls between co-workers here onsite and in the office. I've probably made and received a total of less than 20 total calls. No fewer than half of these calls have been dropped.

Our company deploys mobile phones at conferences all over the world that utilize the GPRS technology serviced by AT&T to transmit data to our central servers. GDC is no exception with it's deployment of a couple-hundred phones - many of which have only intermittently been able to transmit data. It isn't that we don't have coverage - all of the phones report full signal and even display the various digital (3G, Edge, G) icons. It is just insufficient quality coverage.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this same problem from other carriers.

No comments:

Post a Comment